Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Greetings Colleagues!


Hi I'm Karen A. Frenkel and I'm looking forward to meeting you and celebrating our organization, which is important now more than ever. I'm a Travel Fellow and will be blogging about the Civics in Science Journalism session and doing some live tweeting.

Here's what I've been up to. I'm an award-winning science/technology journalist, editor, and author. I also have made two documentaries about the impact of technology on society for public television––one on women and computing, the other about elearning. I write for many kinds of readers: lay, professional, business, kids, and pretty much anyone interested in high-technology and science. I also have a very strong interest in science, technology, and culture.

I began my career covering robotics and computer science and still report on both. What I love about these fields is that they are interdisciplinary. Recently, I've expanded into neuroscience and am interested in the influences of research on the mind and brain on computer science and artificial intelligence, and vice versa. I freelance for Science Magazine, SciAm.com, Scientific American, Scientific American MIND, and Communications of the ACM, the magazine of the Association for Computing Machinery.

My newest blog is for The Foundation for Psychocultural Research, whose mission is to advance and support interdisciplinary research and training in neuroscience, psychiatry, and anthropology. I have also blogged and about science, technology and the arts for ScienceFriday.com, the site for the NPR show. Previously, I covered the same beat for TalkingScience.org, a sister site founded as a forum for discussing issues regarding science media.

If you'd like to know more, here's my website and my Twitter handle is KarenAFrenkel.

No comments:

Post a Comment