Monday, November 1, 2010

Literary science writing

I'm Roberta Kwok, one of the NASW travel fellows. I'll be blogging on Saturday about the session "Great science writing part II: Building the big book," which features science-writing superstars K.C. Cole, Jennifer Ouellette, Charles Seife, Jonathan Weiner, and Carl Zimmer. As a former creative-writing student, I'm excited to hear their insights about how literary devices can be used to communicate science. I remember reading Weiner's book The Beak of the Finch in graduate school and trying to deconstruct how he told such a compelling story; maybe he'll share some tips during the panel!


A little about me: I'm a freelancer in the San Francisco Bay Area, writing for clients such as Nature, Conservation, and Science News for Kids. Before freelancing, I worked at a start-up in Silicon Valley, completed an MFA in fiction writing, and attended the science communication program at UC Santa Cruz. You can check out clips at my website and a recent interview about one of my features at the new science-writing blog The Open Notebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment