Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Profitable Freelancing

Hi all. I'm Sara LaJeunesse, a freelance writer/editor and a NASW travel fellow this year. I'll be reporting on the "Profitable freelancing: Starting a business and keeping it productive" session. The goal of the session is to teach participants how to wear the many hats of a freelancer: writer and editor; CEO and employee; and treasurer and accountant. As a newbie to the freelancing world, I look forward to receiving this advice and to sharing it with you.

I say I'm new to freelancing, but I actually have freelanced on the side for many years. This year, however, is the first time I have devoted myself completely to freelancing, as I have decided to spend some time at home with my 14-month-old daughter. It's quite a juggling act, as many of you likely know, but it also is incredibly fulfilling.

My former jobs have included staff science writer/editor at Penn State, assistant director of communications at the University of Miami, and science writer at Everglades National Park. I earned a master's degree in biology at the University of Georgia and a bachelor's degree in environmental studies at the University of Tennessee.


7 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing you at our session! Keep an eye out for my portion (I'll be speaking last) in which I talk about the importance of swallowing your pride after an editor makes you rewrite a pitch a couple times and *then* tells you his or her top-editor didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to learn a few things about this, too. Looking forward to your notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That appears to be excellent however i am still not too sure that I like it. At any rate will look far more into it and decide personally! I will 80 high quality niche relevant blog comments backlink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for picking out the time to discuss this, I feel great about it and love studying more on this topic. It is extremely helpful for me. Thanks for such a valuable help again. instagram ibmseo

    ReplyDelete
  5. After I initially commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any manner you may remove me from that service? Thanks! Unique Domain Backlinks

    ReplyDelete