Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Unboxed Media Hits The Road


Unboxed Media is me-myself-and-I, Janet Rae-Dupree, former staffer at (in reverse chronological order) the Silicon Valley Business Journal, U.S. News & World Report, BusinessWeek, the San Jose Mercury News, Los Angeles Times, The Daily Breeze, the L.A. Daily News... Yes, one covers lots of territory during three decades in this business. My journalism life took a marvelous turn for the better in 2005 when I was named a Knight Fellow at Stanford, where I got to spend an academic year absorbing all things innovation. I've been freelancing ever since.

Lately, that freelance work has been for a variety of outlets including Cleveland Clinic Magazine, ONE, Digital Innovation Gazette and a clean energy industry consortium called SolarTech. I've written a Dummies book (The Anatomy & Physiology Workbook for Dummies) and I'm preparing a proposal for a second Dummies book (Livescribe for Dummies). I've got two other book proposals in varying stages of readiness and I've recently begun working on a series of personal essays that may eventually form something resembling a memoir. And I've been fortunate enough to be named a travel fellow to this year's NASW conference, so I'm headed to Yale!

My current passions are innovation of every description (think "outside the box" to understand my Unboxed moniker), emerging technologies, renewable fuel sources, neuroscience, personalized medicine, proteomics/genomics, and nanotechnology.

I've been tweeting from a variety of science and technology conferences for well over a year, so it made sense for me to sign up to tweet about the two "Great Science Writing" panels. I will, of course, be tweeting away about many other sights/sounds/thoughts. Please do give me a follow @jraedupree. FYI -- the hashtag is #sciwri10. Don't know what that means? Here's a quick Twitter Lesson du Jour: Use hashtags to search for subjects of interest to you, and to label your tweets according to their key subject. More social media lessons to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment